Monday, December 1, 2014

5 business mobile apps we use every day

There are thousands of new consumer apps coming out every day. People use them to communicate, navigate, get on social media, take pictures, figure out their way around in Disney Parks, play games, listen to music, watch videos etc.

But how about business apps? Everybody is using their favorite e-mail application, calendar, browser and text utility. What are some of the more specialized apps though? They can fuel your business growth.

Here are five classes of business apps we use on a daily basis. We actually use many more business apps than just these five including some of our business apps but I am writing this for a larger audience.

1. LinkedIn

The mobile app of LinkedIn is an awesome app to keep in touch with, grow and involve your professional network. I use both the Android and the iPhone versions- they are both free of charges. I add new contacts, respond to messages, post updates, check out profiles, get business referrals etc. Weather I am attending a conference, workshop or client meeting all of these operations work beautifully on the go without booting up my laptop.

2. Meetup and Eventbrite

These are events management apps distributed by their respective Organizations. I am big with local events and tech meetings and I usually schedule my participation two weeks ahead. Meetup in particular is great because it gives you the opportunity to participate in online mobile discussions and interactions right around a certain event is scheduled- which is a great opportunity to have your message communicated and involve users who will participate in the meeting. And of course you have all the standard features like calendars of upcoming events, addresses, phone numbers, mobile sign-ups, integration with Maps / driving directions etc.

3. Fidelity

I've been using this app for about a year now migrating from my older desktop version. It basically allows you to manage your stock market investments with real time quotes. Even if I am not by any means a day trader or a short term investor- I actually prefer long term positions- I always get market quotes on my favorite stocks such as BABA, GOOG, FB, TSLA, AAPL and TWTR.

4. Skype and Google Hangouts

These are good quality mobile communication apps. Without being perfect quality and SLAs wise, they are very decent free tools to have long distance video and conference calls, share work and message with teams involved in projects. I've been using their desktop versions for years and I had been recently migrated with great results to the mobile versions. I can now hold an operational / progress update meetings (i.e. meetings during breaks of business presentations) without being held hostage at my desk- which gives me a push in productivity and velocity,

5. Google calendar

The old Google calendar still makes the list. It is particularly useful as it integrates nicely with the desktop version (it's actually a cloud hosted calendar which can be managed from any kind of device). It is a tremendous help for me as I get reminders on scheduled meetings, phone # / bridges, addresses, contacts etc. It also integrated nicely with Google Maps for driving directions on the go.

Make it a great day!

Adrian Corbuleanu
Miami Beach, FL
http://wittywebnow.com